Sleep Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Natural Tranquilizers
Meditate in your own way. That could mean anything that clears your mind. See Master Choi Kok Sui article on Meditation.
Yogic breathing is a natural tranquilizer. It takes just a few moments but it is worth it. It can be very effective in reducing anxiety, easing your body into sleep and lowering blood pressure. There is no equipment needed, just patience and self love. Self allowance. Giving yourself, your person, time to fully breath.
Simple Breathing Exercises
You can do these exercises in any position. Make yourself comfortable. Lie down on a soft bed. Lie down outside in a private place where you can ground (see future article on grounding) and collect negative ions, reduce positive ions. Place the tip of your tongue just behind your front teeth or you can place your tongue on your palate. Whatever works for you. It releases the jaw. Try to keep it there..if you need to remind yourself, be loving and gentle with yourself. Remind and go back….you will be exhaling out of your mouth around your tongue. if it feels unusual you can move your lips to accommodate.
- Exhale completely through your mouth with a whooshing sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to the count of 4
- Now, hold your breath to the count of 7
- Exhale completely through your mouth, whooshing, to the count of 8
- This completes one breath.
- Repeat the cycle as many times as you would like.
- 3 or 4 repeats is a good amount to start with for the first month or so.
- Remember to inhale quietly through your nose and exhale, so it can be heard, through the mouth. The tip of your tongue can stay behind the top front teeth or entirely on the palate. How much time you take is unimportant. The ratio is most important. 4:7:8 is important.
If you have trouble holding your breath just do the best you can and you will improve. With practice you will be able to slow it down and get used to inhaling and exhaling more deeply.
This natural tranquilizer is an exercise for the nervous system. Unlike tranquilizer prescription drugs, which are often effective when you first take them but lose their power and make you sick over time, this exercise is subtle when you first try it. know that is becomes much more powerful with practice and repetition.
Perhaps try it once per day and then move to twice per day. That frequency will make a difference. After a while you can extend it to eight breaths each time. If you feel a little light headed when you first breath this way it will pass.
Shift in consciousness
You may notice a shift in consciousness after four of these breaths. there may be a feeling of dreaminess, lightness or detachment. That is a desirable shift and will increase with practice. It is a sign you are creating an affect on your involuntary nervous system. You will be neutralizing stress and creating better health and wellness for yourself. Once you develop this breathing technique, you can utilize it whenever you need it. It will be a great resource to carry around with you. use it when there is tension. Use it to fall asleep, Everyone can benefit from it.
Gentleness Toward Ourselves
Alleviate Chronic Tension
- Try not to be at war with yourself.
- Silence is golden
- Sit and breath
- Become acquainted with your true self
- Let thoughts and images come and go
- Do not be reactive
- Awareness of how we are feeling
- No judgement only acceptance, watch how much we judge ourselves
- Be your own best friend
Affirmations and Loving Thoughts
- Close your eyes and pivot the mind to the air in and the air out-your breath
- May I be at peace
- May I know my own true nature
- May I know myself and not judge
- Stop filling your mind with clutter
- Increase leisure time, decrease work time
- Increase vacation time
- No frantic stimulation (phone, tv, computer, hand helds, gaming, blue light, florescent light)
- Stop spinning in worry
- Utilize Belly breathing
The 10,0000 Thing Fulcrum by Judith Sullivan
- Locate your ribs
- Bring your fingers down to the ribs until you feel the transverse colon.
- Place hands under the Tranverse colon.
- As you exhale bring the hands down a bit further into the abdominal area…until you feel a barrier, a tightness, a stopping point.
- Exhale again and bring the hands just to the barrier border.
- Take deep breaths.
- On the third exhale hold your breath as you hold the hands in place
- When you inhale release your hands.
Jin Shin Finger Hold
Jin Shin Jyutsu is an amazing therapy and has wonderful offerings of how to help yourself and Love Thyself. While lying in a comfortable position, begin by using the right hand to hold each finger, one at a time, on the left hand. While holding each finger breath deeply, inhaling six times and exhaling six times. Now Smile and Love Yourself. When finished with all the fingers and the thumb on the first hand, please switch hands. Smile. This opens the channels of energy in the body, allowing energy to move freely and smoothly. It promotes deep relaxation. While holding the fingers focus on the pulse in the fingers and the steady rhythm of your own heartbeat.
- Lie down and enjoy being horizontal
- Relax and place your hands on your belly so they touch each other.
- Breath there for a minute.
- Just enjoy lying there.
- Don’t try to go to sleep
- Don’t wonder where sleep is, just enjoy lying down.
- Enjoy the moment with no expectations for the next minute.
- Relax into each individual part of the body
- Notice what your mind is doing and let it go.
- Go back to each individual part of the body.
- Look at the back of your eyes under your eye lids and notice the colors there and using those color construct the word SLEEP. Look right there on the back of your eyelids.
Smart Sleeping Quarters
- Examine and evaluate your sleeping space.
- Reduce or replace Smart Meters on the outside of your home.
- Turn off your cell phone and do not have it anywhere near your body or your brain while sleeping.
- Turn off your WIFI at night.
- Keep your room super dark.
- Go to bed when it is dark.
- Wake up when it is light.
- Gaze at the sun immediately upon rising for a few minutes
- Allow the sun to fill you up with its energy
What position promotes long, deep, restful sleep? Check out this video for more information.
The importance of darkness to your health
Night used to be truly dark. Except for the moon and the stars. Most of us are barraged by artificial blue light sources all night long. This can spell trouble for your health and for your sleep. Even those who live in the country have electronic devices that effect the natural sleep cycle.
Darkness is Essential
Since electricity was invented the light in buildings has been inadequate and there has been too much light at night. It is estimated that 40% of Americans sleep less than 7 hours per night. That is not enough for a robust resetting of the human endogenous circadian rhythm. Too much artificial light disrupts natural circadian rhythm, alters sleep/wake cycles, alters core body temperature (cold therapy), alters hormone regulation and hormone release as well as altering the pattern of gene expression throughout the body.The human natural clock regulates our sleep, hunger, energy levels and body temperature. So, how important is darkness to this cycle? CRUCIAL! When darkness comes the body produces Melatonin. This signals that it is time for sleep. When the sun comes up the level of Melatonin reduces and we awaken. When darkness is compromised by lighting, night shift schedule, or staying in the house without natural light the body’s production of Melatonin is compromised. This may lead to problems over time. A good nights sleep is crucial to good health.We know we don’t feel good when we don’t sleep. If we get less than 7 or 8 hours, we are grumpy, cloudy in thought, groggy, irritable and hard to get along with. Our hands may shake and our mood may be altered. We could experience visual or auditory hallucinations. Short term sleep deprivation can cause depression, wrinkles, blemishes and a decreased sex drive. Chronic sleep deprivation can create serious problems such as diabetes, heart disease, cancer, Fibromyalgia, stroke and Alzheimers, Brain volume is affected thus affecting physical activity, blood pressure and cholesterol levels. There could be brain atrophy and memory loss. You need sleep to remember. A lack of adequate sleep can affect your weight. It can create binge eating, midnight cravings especially for unhealthy chemical laden foods carbohydrate high content foods. Wheat is highly addictive, which elevates cravings.
Different Kinds of Light
Different kinds of light have different kinds of affects. Blue light, such as from the sun and florescent lights (tablet and phone) keep us awake at night. Red and yellow lights from candle light, salt lamps or incandescent lights with dimmers, do not affect our sleep. They do not bother our circadian rhythms as severely as blue light. Complete darkness in the bedroom is always best while try to sleep. Get rid of your electric alarm clocks and get regular battery operated clocks. Get back to your natural rhythm.
Take a camping trip away from all the light. Just a couple of days. Lie on the ground and ground your body. You may find that you might be very nervous at first. We are addicted to our electronics. Take some time, start a fire and use the breathing exercise above.
Make sure your bedroom is as dark as possible. Use heavy curtains shades or eye shades.
Rest Before Sleep
Go to bed a half hour earlier and just rest. Give yourself extra time to just lie there and relax.
Turn Down the Heat
Turn down the heat. Sleeping below 70 degrees is linked to promoting restful sleep. The colder the better. It activates brown fat, a metabolically active type of fat that contributes to your body’s rate of calorie burning.
Reduce the Height of Your Pillow
Make sure your sleep position is not affecting your snoozing time. Reduce the height of your pillow,
Nature is the Best Healer
Turn off your lights, leave your hand held and your computer behind. Go out of the city and away from the lights. Nature is the BEST healer.
SIGN UP FOR JENNY'S MAILING LIST
And get a FREE 30 Minute Foam Roller Full Body Workout Video!